Grilled Marinated Chicken, Tzatziki, Homemade Flatbread, Greek Salad
I am dreaming of Greece. The beautiful whitewashed buildings that enhance the turquoise water in Santorini. Santorini is one of the Cyclades Islands in the Aegean Sea. There are some great white wines that are produced in Santorini. It is a volcanic island so the blend of the mineral rich soil with the sea air yields white wine that is crisp and dry. Vinsanto is Santorini’s biggest contribution to the wine world. It is a sweet wine that requires grapes to be dried in the sun for weeks before being fermented. It is then barrel-aged for several years before being bottled. The result is a dark, golden-colored wine that is served after dinner as a dessert wine. Vinsanto is not to be confused with Vin Santo from Italy. While they are both sweeter wines, they are made from different grapes. Vinsanto from Santorini dates back to the 16th century and is still produced in the traditional method. The food in Greece is perfect. Fresh fish from the sea is simply prepared with a little olive oil, oregano and capers. Squeeze a little lemon on top and you have a healthy and tasty lunch or dinner. In Greece they also serve delicious lamb and chicken.
I have put together one of my favorite dinners to prepare. The marinade will make the chicken very tender and is complimented by the char created by grilling the chicken. I prefer using chicken tenders rather than chicken breast cut into strips. I just think it works better. This grilled chicken recipe is so healthy and delicious. The paprika and cumin add just the right amount of spice and flavor to the grilled chicken. It balances well with the cool greek salad with salty feta. My son, Max, likes to make his own gyro but I prefer to eat the Grilled Chicken over the Greek Salad with the Flatbread on the side. No matter how you choose to eat it I am sure you will love it.
Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe
- Grill pan or barbecue
- 1½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 pounds chicken breast or tenders
- Mix ingredients together and add chicken tender strips or chicken breast cut into strips.
- Marinate for at least 3 hours and up 10 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and grill for approximately 10 minutes, turning chicken over half way
Making flatbread is so much fun. My daughter Olivia and I look forward to making the dough and rolling out the pieces. It is such a quick and great way to make homemade bread. Cut the bread into triangles and serve with Tztziki or Hummus as an hors d’oeuvre or make some to serve at lunchtime with tuna or egg salad. Another idea is to make flatbread in the morning and serve with sautéed spinach, poached eggs and crumbled goat cheese on top. Let me know some ideas that you come up with for serving flatbread.
Easy Flat Bread Recipe
- Rolling Pin
- Heavy Bottom Frying Pan
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup ice water
- Additional vegetable oil for frying
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt in a bowl.
- Add oil and ice water. Knead. Dough should be moist but not sticky
- Cover with plastic wrap for 15 min.
- Divide dough into golf ball sized balls.
- Sprinkle each with flour and roll into circle around ¼ inch thick.
- Preheat heavy bottom pan. Add a little oil to coat pan. Cook flatbread one at a time. Turn flatbread after 2 minutes or so.
- Wipe pan with oil in between each bread so bottom isn’t burned.
Tzatziki is a creamy, refreshing spread that can be served in a variety of ways. Works well as an hors d’oeuvre or as a side spread for chicken and lamb. Also works well served with a simple grilled salmon.
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ english cucumber peeled, grated and squeezed dry in paper towels
- 1 tbsp tbl fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
What Sides Should I Serve?
I like to serve the grilled chicken with potatoes and a greek salad. The Greek salad is cool and salty and compliments the chicken perfectly. I like to serve my air fried potato recipe as well so I can crispy potatoes into the Tzatziki Sauce. Another bonus is that all this food can be easily served the next day for lunch. The leftover grilled chicken can be eaten cold or warm on a sandwich or over the leftover Greek Salad.
- 1 English cucumber pealed and cut
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper seeded and cut
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 cup green and calamata olives
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Place tomatoes, pepppers,cucumbers on a plate
- mix dressing and toss with salad
- add feta and olives