This is a great easy weeknight dinner. The lamb is placed in the marinade for at least two hours and up to six hours. This gives you lots of flexibility when timing dinner. After the lamb has marinated, dinner will be ready in 20 minutes. I like to serve this dish wish Jasmin rice and Asian Cucumber Salad. The cool cucumbers balance the hoisin perfectly.
What is Hoisin Sauce?
Hoisin is Cantonese and the name translates to ‘seafood’ even though there is no seafood in it. It is made from fermented soybeans, spices and sugar to create umami. Umami is the fifth category of taste in food. Umami is typically tasted in fermented products and meat broth. It is a savory taste that is one onto its’ own. Hoisin is usually used in in meat and poultry dishes and is a wonderful sauce for Peking Duck. In this recipe the Hoisin sauce is mixed with soy sauce to create a depth of flavor and thin out the sauce. The addition of chili flakes adds a little kick to the dish.
Can I substitute the Lamb with Something Else?
Yes, you can absolutely substitute chicken or beef instead of the lamb. Try using the marinade on sirloin steak, skirt steak or filet mignon and grilling it on the barbecue in the warmer months. The sauce creates the most delicious char on the steak
This dish can also be made using only vegetables. Try adding eggplant or Bok Choy instead of meat. I would avoid using leafy greens since the sauce will over power them.
Sticky Hoisin Lamb
- 1¼ lb lamb strips
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 scallion white part only thinly sliced
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- Blend hoisin, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, vinegar, glarlic, ginger and chili flakes in a medium glass bowl
- Add lamb strips and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 – 6 hours
- Preheat oven to 400
- Put broccoli florets in lamb marinade and toss to coat well
- Spread lamb and broccoli in a baking dish
- Bake on upper rack in oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and serve with sliced scallions on top
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ⅛ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Thinly slice cucumber
- Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over cucumber slices
- chill for 15 minutes