These homemade pancakes are super easy to make. Try them plain or with a few chocolate chips scattered inside.
Weekend mornings were meant for fluffy, light pancakes. This pancake recipe is ready in a jiffy and absolutely delicious. The key to fluffy pancakes is baking powder and not over-mixing the batter. If you mix the batter too long you will activate the gluten. Too much gluten will result in gummy, dense pancakes. This applies to all batter recipes. You want to incorporate all the ingredients but it is ok for the batter to be a little lumpy. In this fluffy pancake recipe I recommend you mix the dry ingredients first then mix the sugar, butter, milk and eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the dry ingredients to blend together. A few turns with a whisk is all you need to fully incorporate the wet and dry ingredients. After the ingredients blend together let the batter rest for a minute while you are heating up the griddle.
The batter should be slightly lumpy but all the ingredients should be combined. Make sure you mix the bottom of the bowl.
What is the best pancake pan?
A cast iron griddle works best for fluffy pancakes. Lodge makes a great cast iron griddle that doubles as a grill available here on Amazon. This is one of my favorite pieces of cooking equipment. I use it for steak, burgers, fish, pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches. A good cast iron grill will last many years if you care for it properly. After use, wash the grill and dry with a towel then lightly coat with vegetable oil before putting the grill away. This will prevent the cast iron from rusting.
What about the Buttermilk?
Indeed a lot of fluffy pancake recipes call for buttermilk but since I usually decide to make pancakes when I’m still in my pajamas and I don’t keep buttermilk in my refrigerator on a regular basis I had to come up with a fluffy pancake recipe that would use ingredients that most people have as staples in their home. Buttermilk does help pancakes rise but you will be equally pleased with my no buttermilk recipe.
- Chocolate chips: sprinkle a bunch of chips on top of the pancake immediately after you pour it in the pan. Adding it to the batter will effect the rise.
- Blueberries sprinkled on the pancake just after pouring the pancake in the pan
- Sauté slices of banana in butter and brown sugar and serve over the pancakes
- Top pancake with Jenn’s View candied bacon recipe and warm maple syrup with a splash of bourbon
The Best Fluffy Pancakes
- cast iron griddle
- 1½ cups AP flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- vegetable oil for coating pancake pan
- mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together
- in a seperate bowl combine milk and butter and microwave for 1 min until butter is melted
- let milk mixture cool until it is just warm and whisk in eggs.
- add to flour mixture
- lightly mix to incorporate all ingredients. Do not over mix. Small lumps are fine
- Let batter rest while you warm cast iron griddle on medium heat
- brush griddle lightly with vegetable oil
- use a ladle to spoon pancake batter onto griddle
- add chocolate chips if desired
- flip pancake when bubbles appear on top of pancake
- serve with fresh berries and real maple syrup