The addition of Tumeric and cumin adds brightness and helps to make this soup packed with flavor and health benefits. The soup is vegetarian and vegan. I like to classify this soup as a power soup because it is high in nutrients like vitamin A, potassium, fiber and protein and low in fat. It tastes great, looks beautiful and is very healthy.
What’s the Big Deal about Tumeric?
Tumeric contains curcumin which has powerful antioxidants. Curcumin boosts brain power, reduces inflammation and can lower your risk of heart disease. Tumeric has been around for over a hundred years but the extreme heath benefits have only recently been studied and recognized. Tumeric is also what gives curry its beautiful yellow color. I love to develop recipes that I can add tumeric to so that the dish not only tastes great but is also healthy for you.
Yellow vs. Green Split Peas
Yellow split peas and green split peas are both delicious. I tend to think that a green split pea soup works best with ham since it is a sweeter split pea and balances well with salty ham.Yellow split peas have an earthier flavor that works well with full flavor spices like turmeric and cumin. This yellow split pea soup is vegetarian and vegan.I puree the soup so that all the flavors blend completely and result is a smooth earthy flavored soup. If the soup is too thick add more vegetable broth to thin it out. The yellow split pea soup is perfect for the spring and summer because of the beautiful color of the soup. It is perfect to serve as a light lunch or dinner with a leafy green salad and some crispy bread. Yellow split pea soup freezes well so you can make a big batch and freeze it in individual portions that you can defrost on those long summer days when you don’t feel like cooking.
Yellow Split Pea Soup
- immersion blender or food processor
- 16 oz bag of yellow split peas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- ¾ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp coriander
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley optional
- Add olive oil to large soup pot over medium heat
- add onions and carrots and saute until soft. Around 5-8 minutes
- rinse the yellow split peas and add to pot
- mix in tumeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, coriander, salt and pepper
- pour in vegetable broth and water and stir often until boiling. Make sure split peas aren't sticking to bottom of pot.
- reduce heat and add bay leaf
- simmer for 1½ hours stirring every 10 min or so until split peas are tender
- Remove bay leaf
- blend soup using an immersion blender or food processor.
- garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired