Roasting the garlic cloves creates a nutty mild garlic flavor that balances well with the tahini.
Hummus is a Middle Eastern spread that is made with cooked chickpeas. The chickpeas are boiled until very soft and their skin is beginning to come off. This makes it easy to mash them into a very smooth dip that blends perfectly with the silky tahini. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. I like to use the Soom Premium Tahini available here on Amazon. This tahini is all natural, delicious and made by a woman owned company.
Homemade hummus can be used in a variety of ways. You can serve it as an hors d’oeuvres with pita or flat bread and raw vegetables or as a side dish with charred broccoli and peppers. Simply toss the broccoli and peppers with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes in a 400 oven then serve over the hummus as a side dish or appetizer. The hummus will stay fresh for 5 days in your refrigerator and is a healthy snack to have around. If you feel a little hungry try dipping some pretzel crisps into the hummus as a mid afternoon snack
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- food processor or immersion blender
- 1 can chickpeas
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 clove garlic
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
- 1½ tsp Extra virgin olive oil plus extra to drizzle on top if desired
- sumac to sprinkle on top
- preheat oven to 400
- peel garlic and toss with ½ teaspoon olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast in oven for 30-45 minutes until light brown and soft
- drain and rinse chickpeas and add them to a sauce pan with baking soda.
- fill pan with water until chickpeas are just covered
- bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until chickpeas are soft
- drain in mesh strainer and rinse with cold water
- mash roasted garlic with the back of a fork and add to food processor
- add lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper and ice water and blend until smooth
- add chickpeas and cumin and remaining teaspoon of olive oil
- blend until very smooth scraping sides as necessary.
- If too thick then add another tablespoon of water
- place in a bowl and drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sumac